You should clean your CPAP mask and humidifier daily. A deep cleaning of all CPAP equipment should be completed at least once a week. It is unclear if extra cleaning is required due to the COVID-19. It is important to continue to properly clean and disinfect your CPAP equipment on a regular basis including the mask, air tubing and humidifier. Wash your face and hands prior to putting on the CPAP mask and using the CPAP machine. Daily and weekly cleaning steps are outlined below:
Daily Equipment Cleaning
- Clean your mask daily with warm water and mild soap then rinse and let it air dry. Alternatively, wipe your mask every day with a CPAP mask wipe. CPAP mask wipes are a simple and effective way to keep your mask clean. Contact your local RHS office or our Service For Life (SFL) team at 1-844-705-1240 to order additional CPAP mask wipes.
- When not in use, empty the water from the humidifier chamber, rinse it and let it air dry. Do not leave water sitting in the humidifier.
- Refill the chamber with distilled water prior to using the machine.
Weekly Equipment Cleaning
- Mask – Disassemble your mask and in a sink, soak your mask cushion and headgear. To remove any oils, gently rub with mild soap and warm water. Rinse and let air dry.
- Hose – Soak your hose in warm soapy water, rinse the inside and outside of the tubing with water and let air dry.
- Humidifier – Soak the humidifier in a solution of 1-part white vinegar and 3-part water for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse all parts with warm water and allow the parts to air dry.